What is a Mommy Makeover?
Christopher Chung, M.D.
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Chief Medical Officer
For many new mothers, it can be difficult to shed the “baby weight” and regain their pre-pregnancy figure. Diet and exercise can aid progress, but often times these natural methods aren’t quite enough to help them reclaim their full former physique.
For cases such as these, Sono Bello offers customized Mommy Makeover procedures to help mothers smooth out the impacts of pregnancy on the midsection.
The Mommy Makeover treatment is designed to contour the abdominal region, remove excess fat and skin, and flatten the residual “baby bump”. Together, this procedure helps recent moms and anyone wanting to regain their pre-baby body back, the ability to all in just one visit.
How the Mommy Makeover Procedure Works
First, excess fat is removed from the abdomen. The quantity will naturally vary patient-to-patient, but the elimination of stubborn belly fat is how our surgeons begin flattening and contouring the abdominal region.
Then, the excess sagging skin around the mid-section (a common side-effect of childbirth and fat loss) is removed. Smoothing out and tightening the skin is a crucial part of achieving a sculpted, toned, natural appearance. This combination of micro-laser fat removal and AbEX™ skin tightening helps mothers achieve their post-pregnancy body goals.
Bringing a new life into the world is a joyous accomplishment. However, this triumph can be accompanied by physical and mental tolls. It can take a lot out of a person’s body, leaving it changed, causing feelings of of self-consciousness and low confidence. Sono Bello’s Mommy Makeover is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that helps patients feel beautiful as they embark on the trials and adventures of parenthood.
Advantages of Sono Bello’s Mommy Makeover
The Mommy Makeover operation combines multiple cosmetic surgery techniques that are designed to help women restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. But what sets this package of treatments apart from other options? Here are several differentiating advantages:
- Efficiency and effectiveness: Sono Bello’s Mommy Makeover was specifically designed to address the areas of the body most impacted by pregnancy all in one surgical session. This can include the abdomen, waist, and hips. By consolidating and focusing procedure areas, the transformation can be comprehensive and dramatic, helping women achieve their desired appearance.
- Customizable: The Mommy Makeover is highly patient-specific, meaning that women can choose which treatments they want to include in their makeover based on their unique needs and goals. This allows for a personalized approach that can better meet individual needs.
- Minimally invasive techniques: Sono Bello uses advanced, minimally invasive methods that can reduce scarring, reduce downtime, and lead to faster recovery times. This allows patients to return to their daily routines sooner.
- Enhance self-confidence: For many, the changes that occur during and after pregnancy can negatively affect their self-image. Sono Bello’s Mommy Makeover can help restore confidence by enhancing physical appearance and helping women feel better about themselves.
- Long-lasting results: The results of a Mommy Makeover can be sustainable and enduring. If patients maintain a healthy lifestyle and continue to exercise and eat well, they can look forward to experiencing the benefits of the procedure for years to come.
How much does a Mommy Makeover cost?
The cost of a Mommy Makeover at Sono Bello will vary based on the same factors that influence pricing for all Sono Bello procedures.
- The area(s) of the body being treated with liposuction.
- The patient’s body mass index (BMI).
- The time required to perform the procedure.
- The technology and techniques employed during the surgery.
The final cost is not something that a provider can estimate with broad statements, so it’s best for interested patients to contact their local Sono Bello center to schedule a free consultation to discuss their needs and goals.
Frequently asked questions about liposuction and pregnancy
Many patients are curious about the impact that Sono Bello procedures have on their body as it relates to pregnancy. It’s a reasonable thing to be worried about, and the answers will hopefully help alleviate any concerns.
Can you get liposuction while pregnant?
The good news for expecting parents and those who wish to be parents in the future is that liposuction procedures by Sono Bello do not have any negative impact on future pregnancy, and getting pregnant will not ruin your liposuction results.
However, because of the nature of liposuction procedures and procedures like AbEX that involve skin removal, it is not advisable to undergo the procedure if you are currently pregnant or plan to become pregnant in the near future. At minimum, all positive results of tummy tuck surgery or liposuction will be reversed and lost due to the natural effects of pregnancy on skin and muscle.
Does liposuction impact one’s ability to become pregnant in the future?
No. Sono Bello’s liposuction procedures permanently remove fat cells, but do not tighten or restrict muscle tissue the way a traditional tummy tuck might. The only changes to a patient’s body are the elimination of stubborn fat and the smoothing of loose skin. Otherwise, the natural structures of the body are left intact and unimpeded, allowing for a healthy pregnancy in the future if the patient desires.
How long after having a baby can you get liposuction?
As soon as your medical provider agrees it is healthy. Allowing the body to heal from giving birth before undergoing surgery is likely a wise decision, but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Again, due to the minimally invasive nature of Sono Bello surgeries, the Mommy Makeover could be performed as soon as the mother feels comfortable and ready to receive it.
What does recovery from a Mommy Makeover look like?
New mothers are busy and understandably can’t afford to be taken out of commission by a lengthy recovery. Fortunately, the recovery, healing, and rehabilitation process following a Mommy Makeover is relatively quick and easy. As long as the patient sticks to the prescribed post-operation regimen and routine, they should be able to return to their normal lives within days of the procedure.
It’s difficult to outline a “normal” recovery process following a Sono Bello Mommy Makeover because the makeover itself varies depending on the procedures included in the surgery and the individual patient’s overall health and healing process. However, here are some basic guidelines for the recovery process that apply to all patients:
- Immediately after surgery: Patients will receive instructions on how to deal with any minor pain and swelling resulting from the surgery. Compression garments will also be provided to help minimize inflammation and promote healing.
- First week after surgery: During the first week, patients should rest as much as possible (not the easiest for new mothers, but still important) and avoid overly strenuous activities, including lifting heavy objects or exercising harder than normal. They should plan to take time off work if needed and have someone to help with childcare.
- Two to four weeks after surgery: Patients can typically return to their normal lives by this point. However, they should continue to avoid any strenuous exercise that may aggravate areas that are finishing up healing.
- Four to six weeks after surgery: Patients can gradually increase their activity level, including light exercise, but should still be gentle with their bodies.
- Six weeks and beyond: Patients can usually resume all normal activities, including intense exercise and heavy lifting.
It’s important to follow the surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully, including taking any prescribed medications, wearing compression garments, and attending all follow-up appointments. Patients should also maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating well, staying hydrated, and avoiding smoking and alcohol, as this can impact the healing process.
For any patient eager to reclaim their physical shape and get back to their pre-baby body, a Mommy Makeover from Sono Bello may be the ideal solution. The best way to be sure: schedule a free patient care consultation to better understand the options and procedures that can help almost anybody get the body they want.